First Settlers in Hebron
- Among the first settlers in Hebron were the four brothers, Wilsons, namely James, John, Robert and David. They were from New England and in company with Judge David Hopkins. They together bought 1000 acres, being the east half of Campbell's [McCullooch's] Patent. Their west line ran N and S, passing through Chamberlin's mill.
- Esq. Crossett and Adam Getty bought the west end of the same patent. After the war Rogers bought the remainder of the patent, being a strip through the middle, which was confiscated, the original proprietor being a Tory.
- Old Robert Getty was one of the emigrants from the north part of Ireland. He settled on DeForests patent, a mile below Esq. Crossett. He had 4 sons. Adam (already mentioned), David, John and Robert.
- Alexander Gamble, an Irish soldier, was next on the creek, below Getty. He came there in 1772 or '73. He had 2 sons, Samuel and James, both gone from the town.
- George Fowler, possibly from New Jersey, lived next below Gamble and a mile above Bedlam. His sons were Jonathan and George 2d, all moved away, to the south.
- Robert Creighton from Ireland was next. William, his son, moved to St. Lawrence Co. White now owns the same place.
- William Hamilton, from Paisly, Scotland, lived next below. He was a Scotch silk weaver, by trade, and chose the wrong place when he went into the wilderness there. He had no sons, but three daughters. He was the last upon the creek in Hebron.
- Alex Simpson was the first family in Salem on Black Creek. He had four sons. John, the oldest, went to Canada and stayed there. He was in the militia at the time, and with a party up about the lake at Skenesborough, where they were taken prisoners, and sent to Canada. Pennel, Carswell, and others, from Salem, were all taken prisoners together, they had concerted to escape from prison, when John Simpson proved traitor and revealed the project to the British. Hence he never returned to Salem. Simpson's 2nd son, Andrew, had his father's place, where Chamberlin afterwards lived. He married a daughter of old Mathew McWhorter, finally sold his place and moved west. 3rd son James married a daughter of George Fowler's above mentioned and moved west. 4th son Alexander, a slender young man, followed school teaching, and went west with his brothers, to Scipio or that vicinity, where they all three located.
- Next was Capt. Alex McNitt, below him was
- Robert Stewart, son of David Stewart.
- Then Thomas McLaughry, one of Dr. Clark's company.
- Then Alex Stewart, another son of David's.
- Then the 2 Hoys, Richard and William. Colin McFarland's house now stands a little S of where the lower Hoy house stood.
- Then John McAlister, Esq., Ebenezer's father, and Dr. Archibald's.
- Then Dr. Peletiah Fitch. His house stood on the N side of the road, about 10 rods east of the present Milliman's corners.
- Old David Stewart lived just below James O'Bails. He had several sons. He was one of Dr. Clark's company, and with some others, became the worst enemies Dr. Clark had.
- On the branch of Black Creek, above Bedlam, before the Revolution, were the following families:
- Isaac Lytle, about 2 mi. N of Bedlam, on the place where the 2 Beveredge's now live. He was son of John Lytle of Salem, who lived near David Russell's present place, and who had other sons, viz., John, David, Robert, (Isaac), and George.
- John White, from Scotland, moved away soon after the war, selling to a McCracken, who sold to Cummings, who lives on the same place now.
- Hinman, on the place above where my son Simeon now lives, and a Tory as already stated.
- John and James Ruff, Scotch, and also Tories, who went off in time of the war. They were the last family in that direction, until you came to Munro's settlers. All west through "Belchertown" and Hartford was unsettled till after the war.
- Charles Hutchinson was a Serjant in a Highland regiment and drew lands on Indian River, from which he was driven by Ethan Allen, because he would not admit the New Hampshire title to be as good as the NY title. He lived a mile north of Simeon's place in Hebron, after the war, and used often to tell about Ethan Allen's ejecting them and burning their houses. His sons were William, Charles and James.
- Scott and Kempe, who owned the large patent in Hebron, between DeForest and Munro, lived in New York City. The other names recited in the patent grant are merely fictitious, none but Scott and Kempe owning any of the land. But government would only grant 1000 acres to one person, so to obtain the quantity of land they desired, they got other signatures to their application. Kempe was a Tory in the Revolution, and his part of the patent was therefore confiscated.
- William Cockburn, the old surveyor, was a native of Scotland and landed in Quebec with only a guinea in his pocket as he often said. He was a good surveyor, and ran out a great deal of the land along L. Champlain. He lived at Esopus. William and James were the names of two of his sons.
(Extracted from: Sleeper News, Volume 3, Number 3, August 1995, copyright 1995.)
Return to Hebron page
Return to Main page