"On the 12th day of March, 1813, the county of Warren was erected. This reduced the area of Washington county to the limits which it has ever since retained. It also brought the eastern county-seat, at Sandy Hill, within a mile of the county line; but, as the court-house was already built, the location has been able to hold its ground against all rivals ever since."
Text taken from "History of Washington County, New York" by Crisfield Johnson, originally published in 1878.
The attached map has been provided by The Gold Bug. Visit their site for a variety of useful maps.
Return to Map page
Return to Main page